Two Children, Three Adults Injured in Two-Vehicle Collision in Austin
Two children and three adults were injured on the night of August 13th when two cars crashed on Anderson Mill Road in Austin.
Details of the Crash
On Monday, August 13, at about 9:10 p.m., two cars collided along the 10400 block of Anderson Mill Road, one mile west of U.S. 183, leaving five people injured.
A total of nine people were involved in the incident, however, only five were injured and required treatment.
Two children – a young boy and girl – were transported to North Austin Medical Center. A man in his 20s was rushed to St. David’s Round Rock Medical Center with serious injuries and a woman was taken to the North Austin Medical Center as well.
Children and Vehicle Accidents Statistics
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), vehicle accidents are the main cause of death among children. Sadly, many of these could have been prevented, with statistics from the agency showing:
- In 2014, more than 121,350 children, ages 12 and under, were injured in car crashes.
- In 2015, 663 children died as passengers in vehicle collisions.
- From 2001 to 2010, approximately 1 in every 5 fatalities of children 15 years of age or younger involved a drunk driver. In 65% of the cases, the child was in a vehicle with a driver who was under the influence.
- Restraint use among children is often dependent on whether the driver is buckled up as well. In about 40% of cases where the driver was unbuckled, the child was also not using a seat belt.
- According to a CDC study, in one year, over 618,000 children ages 0 to 12 rode in cars without using the proper child safety seat or a seat belt.
- In 2015, of the children aged 12 and younger who died in an accident, 35% were not wearing their seat belt.
- Car seat use reduces the risk of death in a car accident by 71% for infants less than a year old. For toddlers aged one to four years old, it is reduced by 54%.
- For older kids, wearing their seat belts decreases the possibility of death or severe injury by almost half.
Have you or your children been injured in a car accident? Let the experienced car accident attorney of Ramos James Law, PLLC, help you obtain the compensation you deserve.
Experienced and compassionate attorney Laura Ramos James has been fighting for those who truly need protection for nearly ten years. If you are in need of legal guidance, contact Ramos James Law, PLLC, today at (512) 537-3369 to schedule your free legal consultation.