Every day we place our trust in the hands of manufacturers. From the auto-parts in our cars to the medications we take, tools we use, and much more, we trust that these companies have our safety as their top priority.
Sometimes, however, it doesn’t work out that way. Every year, thousands of people sustain injury or perish because of faulty or defective products.
That’s why our product liability attorney at Ramos James Law, PLLC, fights for those who have had their trust mishandled by greedy or negligent corporations. With nearly 10 years of experience fighting against manufacturing companies, the Austin attorney, Laura Ramos James, is ready to take on your product liability claim and get you the compensation you need to get your life back on track.
Contact the Ramos James Law, PLLC, office today at (512) 537-3369 for your free legal consultation.
Types of Product Defects
When it comes to product liability, it is left to the plaintiff to prove that the product was indeed defective. Not only must this be proven but the plaintiff must also show that the defect made the product unreasonably hazardous.
Defects are categorized into three types that may cause injury:
1. Design Defects – In this circumstance, the defect was designed in a manner that made it inherently unsafe even before the actual manufacturing process.
2. Manufacturing Defects – As the category suggests, this occurs while the product is being manufactured.
3. Marketing Defects – A product is marketed with improper labeling, poor instructions, or inadequate safety precautions.
Parties Responsible for Product Liability
Liability for a defective product can lie with any party that dealt with the manufacturing or distribution processes including:
- The manufacturer of the product
- The manufacturer of the components that make up the product
- A party that assembles and/or installs said product
- The wholesaler
- The retail store that sold the product
Of course, product liability only applies if you bought the product from retail stores or the manufacturer. Acquiring a defective item at a garage sale, for instance, wouldn’t apply as the item may have been damaged while in the possession of the original owner.
Types of Compensation Available to Victims of Defective Products
In order to obtain damages in a product liability case, your qualified Austin attorney at Ramos James Law, PLLC, will prove that negligence was involved in the design, manufacturing, or marketing of the product that caused your injuries.
Compensation for a defective product claim can include:
This can include a wide range of economic and non-economic damages including:
- Medical expenses
- Lost income
- Disability costs
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Permanent disfigurement
- Mental anguish
Punitive damages can only be recovered if it is demonstrated that there was a blatant disregard for the safety of the consumers of the product. Should punitive damages be included, the actual amount recovered will depend on several factors such as:
- The manufacturer’s, designer’s, or supplier’s awareness of the potential for harm
- The length of time the negligent party was aware of an issue
- If there was an attempt to hide the misconduct
- The amount profited because of the misconduct
Get the Help of a Lawyer Who Cares
Our product liability attorney at Ramos James Law, PLLC, has the experience and resources available to deliver justice to your product liability claim. You should not have your trust taken for granted by a greedy corporation.
Do not suffer in silence any longer. Contact us today (512) 537-3369 for your free legal consultation.