Frequently Asked Personal Injury Law Questions

Personal injuries can be incredibly stressful both physically and mentally, often leaving victims unsure of how to handle the incident while holding the responsible party accountable. The Austin car accident attorneys at Ramos James Law, PLLC, have experience handling these cases, and we put together a list of some of the most frequently asked questions about how to handle a car accident or other personal injury to clarify the process.

FAQs About Personal Injuries and Car Accidents

What counts as a personal injury?

A personal injury is any type of injury to your person or property, but personal injury claims and cases usually only deal with specific circumstances. Personal injury lawsuits are usually only brought if there is evidence that the injury was caused by another party, either intentionally or through negligence. A few common types of personal injury claims include car, truck, and boat accidents, pedestrian accidents, workplace accidents, medical malpractice, faulty products, sexual assault, and child abuse.

How soon should I reach out to my local Austin personal injury attorney for assistance after an injury?

When you’ve been involved in any kind of accident, seeking out an experienced attorney as soon as possible is one of the best decisions you can make.

The faster you get in contact with a vehicle accident attorney, the sooner they can begin gauging your potential claim and come up with legal options for you. This is especially important when evidence needs to be collected as soon as possible or when you have been a victim of devastating injuries that have led to hefty medical bills. The longer you wait to file a claim, the more difficult it can become to prove that you suffered as a result of the accident.

How long do I have to file a personal injury lawsuit in Austin?

For nearly every type of personal injury, there is a limit on how long you have to file a lawsuit after the fact. For most personal injuries, that time limit is two years. However, if the incident involved a child, you may have until that child’s 20th birthday during which to file a claim. If the incident involved the sexual assault or abuse of a child, you may have until that child turns 48 years old to file a claim in Texas.

What do I do if I have suffered injuries?

If you or a loved one have been hurt in an accident, it is essential to obtain medical care immediately. We suggest you get a medical evaluation even if you don’t think you have been injured because many symptoms do not become apparent until sometime after the accident.

It is vital to keep any medical documentation when receiving treatment. This can be valuable evidence and can include hospital bills, medication prescriptions, MRI, X-ray, or CT scan results, doctor’s notes, and treatment plans. 

If you’ve been injured due to someone else, you should reach out to an Austin personal injury attorney to get help.

Do I need an attorney after a car accident?

As a victim of a simple minor car accident, you will likely be able to handle insurance claims for the property damage caused by the crash. However, if your accident involved injuries, unclear fault, or a commercial vehicle, you may face a much harder time getting compensation.

That’s what makes it so important that you reach out to an injury attorney in Austin. A qualified car accident lawyer, like those at Ramos James Law, PLLC, can assist and guide you through the legal process so you can be properly compensated for the damages you have suffered.

Should I give any statements to an insurance company?

Although you will inevitably need to deal with insurance companies after an accident, we suggest you do not provide any sort of written or verbal statement to any insurance company until after you’ve consulted with an attorney. 

It’s important to discuss with an attorney what you’ll say to your insurance adjuster to ensure that your settlement is protected. Statements you make to your insurance company could be used to blame you for the accident or to claim that you didn’t suffer as much as you really did.

An experienced attorney can handle these situations with insurance companies on your behalf and fight tooth and nail to help you secure the settlement you are entitled to. 

What kind of compensation is recoverable in a car accident or personal injury claim?

Some of the most significant damages that are recoverable in a car crash or injury claim include:

  • Medical expenses 
  • Lost wages from inability to work
  • Out-of-pocket expenses 
  • Vehicle damage expenses
  • Disfigurement
  • Pain and suffering (physical and emotional)
  • Mental health expenses
  • Loss of companionship
  • Loss of quality of life
  • Funeral and burial expenses

If you’re involved in a traffic accident, the Austin vehicle accident attorneys of Ramos James Law, PLLC, are here to help!

How can I get compensation for a slip and fall accident?

Slip and fall accidents are under the category of premises liability law. Premises liability law dictates the responsibility we have to keep people safe while they are on our property. Usually, business owners are the ones held responsible for falls, but landlords, government agencies, and regular homeowners can also sometimes be held liable. In order to receive premises liability compensation, you will need to prove the following:

  1. The property owner had a responsibility to maintain safe conditions for you.
  2. The property owner failed to uphold their responsibility.
  3. You were injured as a result of the property owner’s failure.

While the argument above is relatively simple, getting the evidence you need isn’t easy. If you plan on making a claim for fall injury compensation, we highly recommend speaking to an experienced personal injury lawyer in Austin.

How do I choose the right personal injury lawyer in Austin?

The first place to turn to find the right Austin personal injury lawyer is your friends, family, and professional connections. Ask people you trust to recommend a lawyer that they’ve had a positive experience with. You can also search online for personal injury lawyers near you. Once you have a selection of attorneys, you can start deciding which is right for you. Check to make sure the attorney has the right experience, fee structure, and communication style to meet your needs. You can use free consultations to ask questions and get a sense of the firm’s customer service.

Who can be held liable for truck accidents?

While in most car accident cases the only ones who will be held liable are the drivers involved, truck accidents aren’t so simple. There are actually several different parties who may be held responsible for your Austin truck accident depending on the circumstances:

  • You
  • Truck drivers
  • Trucking companies
  • Truck loading crews
  • Truck manufacturers
  • Truck maintenance crews
  • Government agencies

If you’re not sure what or who caused your Texas truck accident, you can reach out to Ramos James Law vehicle accident attorneys for help finding the path forward.

Trustworthy Austin Personal Injury Attorneys Ready to Assist and Guide You!

Schedule a Free Consultation Now

Contact Us


2800 S I-35 Frontage Rd, Suite 265 Austin, TX, 78704


(512) 537-3369