Do I Need a Lawyer for My Car Accident Claim
Posted on Saturday, April 8th, 2023 at 12:00 am
A car crash is one of the most stressful events an individual can experience. When you’ve been involved in a serious accident, a personal injury lawyer can help you navigate the process of securing compensation and ensure you are fairly compensated for the damages you have suffered.
However, you may be worrying about being able to pay for their services.
You don’t need to skip hiring a car accident lawyer just because you don’t have cash available. Car accident lawyers are frequently paid on contingency, which means they are paid only if you receive compensation. If they can’t get you a payout, they don’t get paid either!
When You Need a Car Accident Lawyer
While you can make a car accident claim without a lawyer, there are situations where it will be better to hire an attorney to represent you, and give you advice on what you should and shouldn’t do after a car accident.
Consider working with a car accident lawyer in the following situations:
- Insurance companies are all about profit, so they will try to get away with paying you as little as possible or try to pass the cost onto another party. An experienced car accident lawyer can make sure you get a fair amount.
- If you feel like the compensation you’re being offered is unfairly low, an attorney can help make sure you get paid what you are entitled to.
- Insurance companies want to settle quickly and may not offer fair compensation. The threat of litigation can mean that they will be willing to offer a better deal.
- When you hire an attorney, you can focus on healing rather than fighting for the money you need to pay medical bills and cover lost wages.
- If you are falsely accused of being responsible for the accident, you will need an attorney to represent you and prove that you are not at fault.
- It is better to have legal help if you have a case involving a commercial vehicle or other factors that may need special consideration.
When You Might Not Need a Car Accident Lawyer
There are also cases where you don’t need a lawyer to represent you, including:
- If you are at fault in the accident an attorney will not be able to secure you any compensation.
- If no one was injured, it typically isn’t worth the time and effort to hire a lawyer.
- You don’t need a car accident lawyer to get compensation from your insurance if you understand how to navigate insurance claims.
- If you have the time to make the calls and chase down all the information you need to build your case, then you don’t need representation.
What You Need To Know About Contingency Pay
If your car accident lawyer is being paid on contingency, that means they will get their fee out of your settlement. When you are discussing your case with your lawyer you will agree on a percentage before committing to hiring them.
How To Find the Right Lawyer for Your Case
If you’ve decided to find a personal injury lawyer, there are a few tips to help you find the right lawyer:
- Ask for recommendations from friends and family.
- Research firms online.
- Reach out to professional associations that can connect you to a car accident lawyer.
- Ask questions to make sure the lawyer is experienced with similar cases.
- Meet any lawyer that will be working your case.
- Make sure they take contingency fees and see what they would be paid out of your settlement.
Hire the Experienced Car Accident Lawyers at Ramos James Law
It’s better to have a lawyer when you are facing such serious circumstances. Hiring a lawyer who takes contingency fees means you can have representation without an upfront cost.
You can’t go wrong with the experienced attorneys at Ramos James Law, PLLC. We only get paid if we win a settlement for you. Take advantage of our free consultation and see how we can help.