The Top 3 Causes of Distracted Driving Accidents
Distracted driving crashes are on the rise for a wide number of reasons, including the spread of technology in our everyday lives. This is especially true in large cities, where distracted driving accidents occur much more frequently.
So, what are some of the common causes of distracted driver crashes, and is there anything that can be done? The Austin distracted driver accident attorneys at Ramos James Law, PLLC, have the answers you need.
Why Distracted Driving Accidents Can Happen
1. Talking and Texting
Both talking on a cell phone and texting count as distracted driving and have led to many distracted driving car crashes in Texas. Consider the following:
- If you’re going 55 mph and you take 5 seconds to respond to a text, you’ll cover the length of a football field by the time you look up
- Texting while driving is illegal everywhere in Texas
- In Austin, it is illegal to drive while using a phone, tablet, or other devices to view, send, or compose electronic messages while moving
- The best way to avoid it is to turn off your phone when driving and avoid drivers with a phone in their hand while in motion
- About 27% of all car crashes involve cell phone use
Eating while driving requires you to take your hands off the wheel and attention off the road. While it isn’t illegal to eat and drive in Texas, a driver can still be arrested if it could be proven that their distracted driving accident was caused by eating and not properly controlling the vehicle.
Keep the following in mind:
- Having only one hand available to drive can make avoiding a crash more difficult
- Eating and driving are common in the mornings and evenings but you may see it at any time
- Always pull over to eat and watch out for drivers that aren’t paying attention to the road due to a meal
- About 1 in 5 accidents are distracted driving crashes, which include eating and driving
3. Tending to Kids or Animals in the Car
Reaching back to comfort a child can easily lead to a crash, as most Austin car accident attorneys know. Animals can also be distracted, especially as a loose animal can easily take your eyes off the road.
Consider the following:
- Taking your hands off the wheel to catch an animal or tend to a child can easily lead to an accident
- School pickup and dropoff times are the most dangerous for this type of distraction in Austin
- Give kids snacks and toys before you leave and keep animals in a restraint or cage when driving
- At 25 mph, an unrestrained dog will hit passengers and the interior of the vehicle at a force equal to 40 times its weight, which can prove fatal to humans and animals
Were You in a Distracted Driver Crash? Trust the Austin Car Accident Attorneys at Ramos James Law.
If you were hurt in an Austin accident caused by a distracted driver, you don’t need to struggle on your own. Ramos James Law, PLLC, is here to fight for you. We’re ready to answer your questions and support you as you seek out compensation for your injury.