Pedestrian Accident Leaves One Dead
One person dies after being struck by a vehicle in North Austin.
More on the Austin Pedestrian Accident
Early Sunday morning around 2 a.m., a pedestrian was killed at the intersection of Research Boulevard and North Lamar Boulevard in North Austin. The pedestrian was struck by a vehicle.
Details of the crash are limited at this time, including how exactly the accident had occurred and the identity of either of the individuals involved. As a result of the accident, authorities closed down part of US 183 while they conducted their investigation.
Pedestrian Accident Statistics
According to a 2020 report drafted by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 4,852 crashes involved pedestrians
- 1,211 of these crashes involved serious injury
- 732 of them involved a death
The report also stated that every 1 out of 5 traffic fatalities can be attributed to pedestrian fatalities. Moreso, the numbers reflected in this 2020 report indicate a 9 percent increase in fatalities when compared to the previous year.
How Pedestrians Can Stay Safe
1. Only cross the street on crosswalks or at intersections.
2. Always look left, right, and then left before you attempt to cross over.
3. Never assume that a driver can see you. Always make eye contact to make sure they see you.
4. Always obey crosswalk and traffic signals, even if no vehicles are present.
5. Always use the sidewalk, and if there isn’t one present, walk on the left side of the road, facing traffic.
6. Avoid distractions like your cell phone or other electronic devices, food, anything that can take your eyes and ears off of the road when walking.
Over a Decade of Helping the Injured Find Peace
For over 10 years, Laura Ramos James has fought for Texans who were hurt in personal injury accidents. Her experience in this field has given her the tools and resources she needs to make sure that those who were injured get the compensation they need to relive life to their fullest.
Don’t hesitate to file a car accident claim with an experienced car accident lawyer. The statute of limitations for filing for a car accident is two (2) years from when the accident occurred, so every minute counts.
Hurt in a Car Accident? Pedestrians Have the Right to Seek Compensation As Well. Contact the Austin Car Accident Attorneys of Ramos James, PLLC Now.