Austin Native Dead after Collision in Potter County
On the night of Friday, June 3rd, a 31-year-old Austin male collided with another vehicle six miles outside Bushland and was pronounced dead at the scene.
Details About the Incident
According to local authorities, the accident occurred at approximately 7:30 p.m. right off RM 1061. The 31-year-old male driving a Ford 350 was towing an Avion travel trailer on FM 2381.
As he approached a stop sign on RM 1061, a 23-year-old male driving a Chevrolet 3500 was driving southeast within the same ranch-to-market road. The driver of the Ford ultimately failed to make a stop at a stop sign and instead proceed to make a left turn, which led to him being struck on his side by the opposing vehicle.
The Austin native was pronounced dead at the scene by local officials, and the 23-year-old driver was taken to the nearest hospital where he was treated for injuries and released shortly afterward.
The Severe Consequences of ignoring Designated Traffic Signs
Traffic signs were built, designed, and placed for the sole purpose of ensuring the safety of all drivers, motorcyclists, and pedestrians alike. Unfortunately, there are far too many cases where a driver, for whatever reason, ultimately fails to comply with these signs and can end in tragedy.
Some of the most common causes of these type of accidents come as a result of the following factors:
- Not able to stop in a 2-way intersection: This type of accident consists of a driver complying with the traffic signals but the opposite car that was approaching failed to yield the right of way. The most common outcome would result in what is known as a “t-bone” collision, where the opposite vehicle hits the driver’s or passenger’s side of the car.
- Failure-To-Yield: A failure to yield can happen in several ways. If someone was exiting a private driveway but failed to yield the right of way to traffic, that could be considered a failure to yield. The same happens when someone turns left in an intersection when they shouldn’t. In fact, there were approximately 3,579 fatalities across U.S roadways as a direct result of drivers failing to yield in 2018.
- Intoxicated Driving: Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs can set up a disastrous outcome for the person behind the wheel due to their lack of vision, consciousness, and reaction time. The state of Texas accounted for a whopping 26% of the U.S. total drunk driving-related fatalities.
- Texting and Driving: In 2018, Texas had 95,572 car accidents occur because of individuals driving distracted, according to the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT). No texting, Instagram posting, tweeting, or playlist changing is more important than the road in front of you.
- Reckless or Impatient Driving: Many drivers feeling impatient may decide that driving above the legal speed limit will help them get to their destination quicker, but this kind of behavior can lead to a serious accident. When this is the case, they are bound to miss a stop sign or perhaps not have enough time to break for one and cause an unwanted accident.
Austin Car Accident Attorneys Ready To Seek Justice On Your Behalf!
When an unexpected car accident occurs as a result of a negligent driver failing to comply with essential traffic signs, you are entitled to seek legal action against that party for all of the damages they have inflicted upon you.
The trustworthy Austin car accident lawyers of Ramos James Law, PLLC can lead those victims onto the road to recovery by seeking the appropriate financial compensation you need to cover the cost of your pain and suffering. Our car accident lawyers will not back down in court until you receive the justice you deserve!
Do not let your pain and suffering go unanswered. Contact Ramos James Law, PLLC today for a FREE case evaluation!