Whether you have suffered severe injuries because of a car accident caused by a negligent driver, have become injured because of unsafe working conditions, experienced a terrible slip and fall accident, or are dealing with a serious personal injury for some other reason, your quality of life can very quickly begin to deteriorate.
A personal injury claim may be just what is needed to start piecing your life back together.
The Types of Damages You Can Receive
Damages are funds a plaintiff can receive from having suffered at the hands of a negligent party. A winning plaintiff can be awarded:
- Compensatory damages – There are two basic types of compensatory damages: actual and general. These cover a wide range of current and future expenses. Some examples of actual expenses are medical expenses and lost wages. General damages cover issues such as physical pain, mental anguish, and more.
- Punitive damages – Meant as a punishment for the defendant for their gross negligence or intentional misconduct. These are limited by state law.
- Court costs and attorney’s fees – Awarded in a personal injury case to the plaintiff to recover expenses of taking the case to court.
Types of Damages
Damages are meant to offset the damage sustained by a victim of a personal injury and to bring them as close to the position they were in before the accident happened. Our experienced Austin lawyer is ready to help you get started on the road to recovery. We can help you to fight to obtain recovery for damages that can include but are not limited to:
- Medical expenses – A serious injury can leave a victim drowning in medical bills. This is why it is necessary to hire a capable personal injury lawyer who can help you recover damages for not only current medical expenses but for future medical treatment as well.
- Property damage – A personal injury case may include damages associated with property loss such as in the case of an automobile accident.
- Loss of income and future earnings – If the injury prevents you from returning to work, compensation can be awarded for the money that would have been earned during that time frame. If the injury is serious enough to prevent you or your loved one from working any more, then damages to cover the loss of future earnings may also be obtained.
- Pain and suffering – Pain and suffering vary from client to client and can affect their quality of life differently. Our dedicated lawyer will obtain any testimony necessary to support your claim, including expert testimony if needed.
- Emotional distress and trauma damages – A personal injury can change your life in an instant, and sadly, you may not be able to return to the life you once knew. We’ll make sure to fight for your rights and help you deal with the mental anguish associated with your experience.
- Loss of consortium – This damage covers severe and debilitating injuries that affect a victim’s ability to engage with loved ones.
Severe personal injuries and wrongful death claims require legal representation. Choose a quality firm that has the experience and resources needed to deliver the results you deserve.
Reach Ramos James Law, PLLC, today at (512) 537-3369 for the legal care you deserve.