Posted on Monday, March 14th, 2022 at 12:00 am
One person was injured after being struck by a car around 12:40 a.m. in Austin.
Details on the Auto-Pedestrian Accident
A person walking on Westgate Boulevard was hit by a car on March 14 at about 12:40 a.m. in South Austin. The pedestrian was said to be in critical condition and was taken to St. David’s South Austin Medical Center with life-threatening injuries.
The accident is still pending investigation and no further details have been released.
Auto-Pedestrian Accidents in Texas
About 6,000 pedestrians are fatally struck by vehicles each year in the United States. Approximately 10% of these accidents happen in Texas.
According to the Texas Department of Transportation, pedestrian fatalities are increasing in Texas and account for almost one in every five accidents.
In Texas, there were about 5,000 pedestrian-involved accidents in 2020. Consequently, those accidents caused over 1,000 serious injuries and 731 deaths.
The most common circumstances for auto-pedestrian accidents in Texas are:
- Pedestrians not yielding to vehicles’ right-of-way
- Drivers not paying attention
- Drivers not yielding to pedestrians’ right-of-way
- Drivers traveling over the speed limit
Safety Tips for Pedestrians and Drivers To Prevent Accidents
Pedestrians are more susceptible to serious injuries or death in traffic accidents simply because of the sheer size of vehicles. We each have a responsibility to abide by the rules of the road and decrease the tragic numbers of pedestrian deaths.
As a driver:
- Be aware of the pedestrians’ right-of-way, especially when making turns
- Come to a complete stop for pedestrians at crosswalks
- Be mindful of stopped buses or other vehicles
- Keep your eyes on the road; don’t be distracted; don’t use your phone
As a pedestrian:
- Use intersections or crosswalks to cross the street
- Look both ways before crossing
- Make eye contact with drivers to make sure you are seen
- Don’t presume all drivers see you or are paying attention
- Follow all traffic and crosswalk signs
- Always walk on a sidewalk or on the left side of the street to face oncoming traffic
- Avoid using devices that distract you from seeing and hearing
Austin Car Accident Attorneys Determined To Help You Secure Justice
If you or a loved one have been involved in a pedestrian accident, look no further than Ramos James Law, PLLC, to get the justice and compensation you deserve.