As we begin a new decade, we all have particular resolutions that are hard to commit to at first. But one resolution we should all commit and stick to in 2020 is to become better drivers.
Sadly, at least one person has died on Texas roads every day since November 7th, 2000, according to the Texas Tribune. The article – from April of 2019 – mentioned that Texas has led the nation in traffic deaths. Though these facts may seem disheartening, it should also serve as a motivator to drive much more cautiously to protect ourselves, our loved ones, and others on the road.
U.S. Car Accident Statistics from the Previous Decade
As we enter a new year and decade, we as drivers should be fully aware of the statistics from previous years so that we can make better decisions every time we get behind the wheel. Some of those most startling statistics include:
- Over the last two decades, speeding has been the leading contributor in approximately one-third of motor vehicle accident fatalities. (NHTSA)
- 66 percent of traffic fatalities were caused by aggressive driving. (Safemotorist.com)
- 58 percent of police-report fatal car accidents nationwide involved only one vehicle. (SaferAmerica)
- 1 out of 3 people text while driving. (Driver Knowledge)
- Nearly 1 in every 3 traffic accident-related deaths in the U.S. involved a drunk driver in 2019. (CDC)
- 29 lives are lost each day in the United States as a result of drunk driving.
- About 130,000 individuals are injured each year in truck accidents. (TruckAccidents.org)
- 48 percent of passengers killed in vehicle accidents were unrestrained. (NHTSA)
- Of the nearly 6 million accidents reported each year in the United States, 22 percent are weather-related. (FHWA)
These alarming numbers should help us recognize that numerous lives throughout the country are affected and that accidents can ruin the lives of the victims and their loved ones.
Whether it’s to seek justice and compensation for a traumatic personal injury or the loss of a loved one, it is important to find the kind of lawyer you can count on to lead you towards recovery from the physical, emotional, and mental anguish that follows a catastrophic car accident.
Types of Injuries That Can Occur as a Result of a Car Accident
The different injuries that result from a car accident tend to be as varied as the individual circumstances of every crash, but there are certain kinds of injuries that are more common than others. While some car accident injuries may heal within a matter of days there are many serious types which can lead to permanent changes in the victim and result in some degree of physical disability.
Some of the most common injuries include:
- Scrapes and cuts
- Brain injuries
- Broken ribs, arms, legs, or hips
- Head and or spinal injuries such as herniated disc
- Knee trauma
Though you have no control over other drivers you share the road with, there are a number of safety measures you can take to decrease your chances of getting involved or injured in an accident.
Tips for Better Protecting Yourself in 2020
Excellent driving habits to implement this upcoming year should include:
- Stop using your cell phone or other electronic devices when you get behind the wheel.
- Follow the rules of the road and drive the speed limit.
- You and your passengers should ALWAYS use your seatbelt.
- Never drive under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Children should be placed in proper seating until they are of age.
- Be extra vigilant when driving in school zones, around pedestrians, or near bicyclists.
- Motorcyclists should always wear a helmet.
- Teach your teen valuable driver-safety habits.
While this is far from being a complete list of all driving habits you should resolve to follow this year, they would definitely make for a strong start to 2020.
Suffered a car accident injury? Ramos James Law is ready to fight for you!
If you have been the victim of a serious motor vehicle accident, know that you do not need to face the mental, physical, and emotional stress of your situation alone. Ramos James Law is on your side and ready to fight for the justice you deserve.
Our mission is to provide quality legal services to victims of car accidents and personal injuries when they have nowhere else to turn to. You deserve a competent and qualified Austin car accident lawyer. You deserve Ramos James Law.